Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 1 (First Night Cont.)

Still in the Andes Mountains. Still No Sleep. It's about 4:30am and surprisingly it's taken me thing long to realize I've already made the dumbest mistake. No Jacket! When your going to the equator some of the tings that come to your mind to pack are shorts, sandals, and sunscreen; not a jacket. But when you are 13,254 feet high it doesn't matter where you are but your lungs are going to hate you for putting them in this thickness of air. To give you an idea if you were to ever make it that high in the states, the snow would be up to your neck if not over your head because you would literally be on top of a glacier at that height.
We stopped for another bathroom break but after 4 steps I turned around and got right back on the bus. It wasn't until about 6am the my body started to warm up and my eyes lit up like a 9 yr old kid on Christmas morning when the sun began rising over the eastern mountains. For the first time since I left the country I had seen light and for the first time in my life I felt so small and insecure. It was perfect.

No comments: