Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 1 (First Night)

By the time I arrive in Guayaquil it is well into the night. Where darkness reigns this city at night and the only light comes from the dim yellow street lights. I quickly forget what it's like in the states when I take my first breath in and get the vast smell of burnt tar mixed with an American sewer. But I am able to let out the pungent smell when I catch my eyes on my gringo, Bill. We quickly grab my bags because this 8 hour day of traveling has only started. Little did I know instead of going to a hotel, kicking off my shoes, and watching cheap spanish versions of Die Hard, we loaded onto a bus and headed east up the Andes Mountains for 6 more hours. I've never had a problem with traveling over night, but when the streets have more crevices then the moon and the bus is called 'The Jungle Adventurer,' I knew it was going to be a long night. About an hour into my beauty sleep at around 1am, I am quickly awaken by an abrupt stop. Still half asleep I decide to follow everyone off the bus to go use the bathroom. Now, the way I grew up in America, as men we pee wherever we want. I learned quickly that it's the complete opposite here when I was fully awoken to a short Ecuadorian standing at the bathroom door with a shotgun half the size of him. I still do not know why he was there but after flushing "his" toilet me and bill were sure to leave a dollar tip with a very nervous "gracias!"

No comments: