Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 11

On my way downstairs I was expecting the same thing again for breakfast; bread, eggs, and juice. In the Galapagos it’s different. We still had our bread, eggs, and juice but we were also loaded up with fruits. We had bananas, cantaloupes, avocados, watermelons, and my favorite, mandarins. There is just something about the fruit here that makes it so delicious.

I was then taken to another construction site when I was introduced to 9 other gringos. These 9 men travel around the world and help build churches for missionaries. Their project in the Galapagos was to build the roof structure for this church in 5 days. Normally I’d be thrilled to see other gringos here but these guys were from the only place in the U.S. I despise. Texas.

(After completing all the purlins and starting on the roof cover)

Honestly, there is not one good thing to come out of Texas. They think they are bigger and better than everyone else and they think the Dallas Cowboys are America’s team. These 9 guys were no different. All their stories involved fishing, hunting and who had the best truck. Over the years I’ve noticed bring born in Kentucky is tough. You basically have to decide whose side you’re on, north or south. I’m without a doubt on the north. There is not a bit of southern pride in me. I would rather be stuck in a 2 foot blizzard over a hot and sweaty Brooks and Dunn concert. My Friday nights consist of going to a bar and seeing a rock band, not going to tailgate at my old high school’s football game.

(Lady from Texas)

Anyways sorry to get off on a tangent but I had this stereotype of these guys right away so I pretty much kept to myself all day. That was until a younger Ecuadorian named Alfonso introduced himself to me. I noticed his English was slow but we just had this way of connecting right away. Alfonso likes the same kind of music, plays the drums, and is in his second semester of college. He’s originally from Santa Cruz Island, which is part of the Galapagos but he came over to San Cristobal to do school and work a little construction. I worked with him and two other Ecuadorians, Juan and Jimmy, for about 10 hours mixing cement and laying rocks. I worked harder today than a weeks worth of work back home and didn’t get paid a penny. As I was walking back to my hotel I began to think how nice that shower and bed would feel. That was until Alfonso caught me and asked if I wanted to hang out. I tried to think of an excuse but had nothing so I said okay.

(Me and Alfonso)

He took me to a beach and as soon as we got there the sun began to set over the clouds. Words can not describe the beauty there. My body filled with chills when the wind blew against my warm burnt skin. I tucked my toes into the soft white sand and gazed out across the pure blue water and thought to myself if this isn’t paradise, I don’t see how much better it could get. My body had gone numb and all my worries were gone. At that moment I knew it was Gods hands that lead me here. He has provided me foot and a place to sleep this entire trip. All He asked from me in return is to serve Him. Knowing my work today was for Him gave me a sense of ease and joy that any amount of money could never give. Tomorrow is our off day that we get to explore the island.

P.S. By the way I got my passport back today.

No comments: