Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 6

Today was the last day at the village. As I sat there laying bricks for the last day I began thinking how crazy it was that I was here. I’ve never really been the most religious guy but I do believe God has a purpose for all of us and everything happens for a reason. And as I thought back to earlier this week when it was just me and Myron we were given the basics to build this church building. We had the bricks, the sand, and the cement mix. The only thing we had for a foundation was a concrete floor. I think its kind of the same way in our relationship with God. When we accept Him in our lives we are given that basic foundation. It is up to us to mix that cement and build up those bricks. Just like our bricks were uneven and offline, my walk with God gets off track so many times. It’s frustrating and so many times our walls fall down and we have to start over again. I also learned that this is a long and tedious process. It requires patience and is nearly impossible to do by myself. But when you have help from others it makes it so much easier. Since I got to college I’ve lost touch with the church. I don’t think you necessarily need an organization or religion to have a relationship with Christ, but when you try and do it by yourself it’s going to be a much longer and harder process.

(J, Me, and Little Daniel aka Grande Pantalones Hombre)

To end the day we were able to get 12 layers on the back, 10 on the left side, and 9 on the right side. As we were driving away the kids chased us down to the end of the street. That was by far one of the best feelings.

Another good feeling was when I jumped in another part of the Amazon. This bridge was much higher and the current was much stronger.

To end our last night in the jungle we were treated to a wonderful dinner and given a special treat called ChiCha.

ChiCha is basically the Yuka chewed up and then spit back in. I actually enjoyed it and drank quite a bit; the only thing is this batch that was made was a bit on the chunky side. Which is fine, until you wake up at 2am and find a chunk still stuck in the back of your mouth.

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Daniel,
You are surely doing God's work and HE is pleased. We can see the JOY in your face. We send you our love and prayers.