Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 12

Today I slept in. And by sleep in I mean I did not get up till 7:30. I made my way to breakfast and was caught by surprise when Wilson told me he was leaving. He said an emergency came up and he had to leave for a week to another island in 30 minutes. I figured if I’ve made it this far I can make it on this little island by myself too. I hugged Wilson and told him thanks for everything.

Around 8:30 it was just me and the Texas boys. We took a van to the northern part of the island where there is hardly any civilization. The roads brought back memories of the jungle with all the potholes. About 45 minutes we finally reached a place this is famous for having giant turtles. My shoe almost realized these turtles don’t just have big shells when I came just inches from stepping in an enormous chunk of turtle poo.

After that we went to a beach that was so secluded there were only two other people there besides us. They were two surfer dudes that must have been locals because they obviously had come to the perfect place. These waves were some of the biggest I’ve ever seen.

After playing in the waves like a little kid for 2 hours we went to get lunch. Out of this entire trip this was the biggest disappointment. For $10 I expected something so wild and bizarre being in the middle of nowhere. Nope, just more chicken and rice. But there was one thing here that was worth $10 alone. The coffee. I’m not even a big coffee guy but there is something about Galapagos brewed coffee that goes down so smooth. I’m not sure if it was the coffee or what, but for some reason I began to open up with these Texas guys. We talked about baseball and football (NFL and college…not high school). And there was one thing that brought us together real close…farts. CD Williams said it best, “There is nothing funnier than a fart.”

We laughed so hard with each other I pretty much forgot about that stereotype I had about them. So after lunch we found this old tree house that was built a good 30 feet off the ground with a lookout over the whole city. Like everything else I had to try the beer here. They only have one beer and it’s called Pilsener. I was not impressed. It was basically water in a can with a slight bit of hops added. So unlike the coffee, the cerveza is nothing special here. But what is special and surprising is that I’m actually starting to get along with these Texas guys.

(Sliding down the emergency exit)

2 comments:

laurette said...

OK, so who is Wilson? Never heard him mentioned before. Is that Eduardo? Just trying to keep up here.
Awesome tortoise and sea lion.
Love it!

laurette said...

Oh, my bad...Wilson is the little guy on the moped. I was thinking of Alfonso. What happened to him?