Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 17

Today was my last day in the Galapagos. Therefore I had to challenge Alfonso in one more soccer game before I left. Just like every video game I will eventually be good at it and I was now more then good when I beat him 5 to 4. I felt bad I beat him in his own game so afterwards we went to brunch in which he introduced me to two new meals. Encebollado, which is a soup mixed with many different meats and then I was still hungry so I ordered Guatita. Guatita is the inside of goat mixed with rice. Both were very good and Alfonso knew I was a true American when I finished both meals without a single grain of rice leftover.

(Encebollado)

(Guatita)

By noon I was all packed and at the airport for my flight to Guayaquil. Either these people on this island really liked me or they just had nothing better to do then hang out by the airport. I was able to say goodbye to all the new friends I met: Alex, Jimmy, Robert, Domingo, Maryville, Wilson, and Alfonso. Before I left Alfonso said, “I really wish you didn’t have to leave, you’re really really cool.” I gave him a hug and told him I would be back.

(Alfonso and Me)

Knowing you have friends on some of the most isolated islands in the world is pretty cool.

(Domingo, Me, Maryville, Wilson and his little girl)

Right before I loaded on the plane Alfonso told me, “Be careful in Guayaquil, it can be dangerous there and there is a lot of crime.” I didn’t realize how dangerous it was until I arrived. Not knowing where I was staying or anyone in this town did not help either. I started to wander the city and got a little scared when I noticed all the houses had 10 foot gates with barbwires and police with shotguns drawn outside of the banks and supermarkets. I walked to the mall knowing it was safe there. When I found an open table in the food court I laid my head down and took a nap.

Being a 6 foot white gringo with a full grown beard in the middle of an Ecuadorian mall is not something you see everyday. I was startled from my 30 minute nap when a security guard tapped me on the shoulder and told me to leave. The sun was beginning to set and I knew I didn’t want to be on the streets after dark. Luckily I was able to meet two lovely girls named Belen and Luisa from couchsurfing who spoke pretty good English. We went for a walk around town on the river. When I told them my story and why I was here, they were in shock.

(Me and Belen)

(Luisa and Me)

They were obviously interested in more when I offered to take them to dinner and they joined me. I told them all the details to my trip and they introduced me to a new meal. It’s called Soco de Pollo which is a special chicken cooked in beer served with rice. Until I came to Ecuador I never knew there were so many ways to serve chicken and rice. After dinner I saw the true beauty to Guayaquil when we walked up 444 steps to an old bar on top of the city.

When they knew I wasn’t a serial killer or making any of this adventure up, they offered me an extra bed they had open back at their mothers house. Now as I’m lying in bed I realize I can make it thru anything as long as I put my faith in God. Why Worry? Enjoy being young, enjoy meeting new people, and enjoy everyday like it’s a new adventure.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

OK so I wish I had known about your blog the entire time you've been gone! Reading all of this is amazing, Daniel! Come home safe. :)